Zachary James Baker (born December 11, 1981), better known by his stage name Zacky Vengeance, is the rhythm guitarist and backing vocalist for the American metal/rock band Avenged Sevenfold.
In high school, Baker attended Huntington Beach High School. Baker came up with his stage name "Zacky Vengeance" because he wanted to get back at all the people whom doubted his success . He also came up with Johnny's stage name "Johnny Christ" because he said it was suiting for him. Before Avenged Sevenfold, he was in a punk band called MPA*, which stands for Mad Porno Action. He implies that they were not successful. He and M. Shadows formed Avenged Sevenfold. He taught himself how to play the guitar when he was thirteen. Vengeance was also responsible for the creation of the acronym "A7X". Despite being left-handed, Vengeance recalls the first guitar he learned to play on was actually a right-handed his parents had bought him for his thirteenth birthday. He learned by playing upside-down, watching his favorite bands and other people he knew who played, and practiced as much as he could. He would also read each edition of Guitar World cover to cover, learning the tabs of the songs published therein and watching the professionals perform them until he could play just as well. His influences in his style are Rancid, Misfits and Bad Religion. Vengeance's favorite bands also include Metallica, Misfits and Guns N Roses. In high school he played baseball. He claims that if not for his music career, he would have played in college and might have gone pro.
Vengeance uses Schecter Guitars, and endorses the company.
- The Vengeance standard
- The Vengeance Standard model
- The Vengeance Standard model (rebel flag as seen in "Walk" at Ozzfest in 2006)
- The ZV special designed by Zacky Vengeance
- The ZV Blade
- The ZV special with FR (as seen behind the scenes in the Live in the LBC DVD)
- The ZV mirror
- The ZV "Gynecologist" with blood splatters. This version is different to the others as this comes with Seymour Duncan Invaders instead of his usual Seymour Duncan SH-4 "JB" set
- Vengeance has many custom shop S-1 models made exclusively for him.
- All models are loaded with Seymour Duncan JB Pickups.
- Formerly a Gibson SG left handed was used by him (as seen in Warmness on the soul music video)
- Bogner amp
- Bogner cab
Effects units and accessoriesEdit
- Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- Line 6 PODxt Pro
- Voodoo Lab GCX Audio Switcher
- Radial JDX
- Ernie Ball "Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom 10-52" strings
- Dunlop Tortex Yellow plectrums 0.73mm (Avenged Sevenfold logo)
- White Get'm Get'm Sergeant Stripes Strap